The Jim Fay Music Bursary is an annual financial award intended to support young musicians who wish to further their study or practice of traditional or folk music. Inspired by the memory of Jim Fay, this bursary is available to youth who:
- face financial barriers to furthering their practice or study of music
- are between the ages of 16 and 24
- are interested in furthering their study or practice in the field of traditional or folk music
- are living in the Greater Toronto Area
Award amounts vary, up to a maximum of $2,000. The selected applicants may use their award money for the following:
- the purchase of a musical instrument or related equipment,
- registration and reasonable relevant expenses toward participating in a recognized musical workshop setting,
- tuition to a music course or music program at College or University,
- tuition or lessons at a private music institution, including personal private lessons,
- a music practical or study experience that meets the terms of reference of this bursary that have not been listed above (applicants would need to make a case for his/her desired program/experience).
To be considered for the 2014 award, applications must be submitted by November 30th, 2014.